Who doesn’t love a good slice of pizza? If you love pizza, you are probably ready to make your own pizzas at home, try new pizza recipes, and make your own pizza recipes. This article is a comprehensive guide to help you in your search for the best pizza stone for grill use and getting crispy crusts.
Making your own pizzas can be very gratifying. You can choose your own ingredients and cook everything just the way you like it. However, not everyone has a pizza oven or brick oven to cook perfect pizzas at home. Don’t worry, introducing the best pizza stones and, more specifically, pizza grilling stones.
A good pizza baking stone can turn your gas grill, charcoal grill, or even your home kitchen oven into a working pizza oven. Yes, you can turn your gas or charcoal grill into a pizza-making machine and grill pizza.
In this article you will learn:
- The top pizza stones
- What is a pizza stone
- The different types ( materials )
- How to choose the best
- Much more
Best Pizza stone for grill Use
- Lodge Pre-seasoned Cast Iron Baking Pan With Loop Handles – Our Top Choice
- Cast Elegance Pizza Stone – Best For The Big Green Egg, Kamado Joe, And Primo Kamados
- Unicook Heavy Duty Ceramic Pizza Grilling Stone – Best for Grills, Smokers, and Oven
” The Unicook is a rectangular shaped stone and a durable pizza stone for smoker grills and ovens.”
- Emile Henry Flame Top Pizza Stone – Best for Gas Grills
” Great pizza stone for gas grills. This stone can handle high temperatures. “
- Wilton Perfect Results Non-Stick Crisper Pizza Pan – Budget Option
“This is a good budget pick.”
1. Best Overall: Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Baking Pan With Loop Handles
We chose this cast iron baking pan because it will work well for most of our readers and perform well in just about any application. Iron baking pans can handle occasional drops as they are strong and can be used on your grill, stove, oven, and even open fires.
Cast iron performs well due to its capability to retain heat; combine that with its strength and durability, and you have the top choice for most home and outdoor users.
We recommend cast iron baking pans because not only can you use these pans for baking quality pizza, but you can also use them for cooking other dishes and side items like meats and vegetables. Cast iron pans won our vote due to their strength and versatility.
What we like:
- Cast iron is strong and can handle a few drops without issue.
- Absorbs, retains, and disperses heat well and quickly.
- Versatile- can be used in ovens, grills, and open fire pits
- Can be used to cook other meals such as meats and vegetables, not just pizzas.
- Great pizza stone for grill, smoker, and fire pit.
What We Don’t Like:
- Cast iron bakeware will always be on the heavier side.
- Cast iron does require a bit of oil ( seasoning, vegetable oil, or maintenance ) to avoid rust.
- Some cooking cast iron products can get damaged if exposed to extreme temperatures.
2. Best for the Big Green Egg, Kamado Joe, and Primo Kamados: Cast Elegance Round Pizza Stone
This cordierite pizza stone pick makes it to the top of our list because of the material used to build it (Thermarite). These stones work great in kamado grills and even industrial-grade ovens. Cordierite is exceptionally resistant to high temperatures and extreme temperature changes.
The Cast Elegance Pizza Stone can withstand extreme temperature shocks and changes, common when cooking outdoors and in a kamado grill burning at 700 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cast Elegance pizza stones are built from a material they call Thermarite using cordierite stone, which is food safe, can absorb water from the pizza dough to bake crisp pizza, and is strong.
What We Like:
- The Cast Elegance pizza stone is made from Thermarite.
- Durable Pizza Stone – more robust than other types of pizza stones
- Good pizza stone for charcoal grill
- It is very resistant to thermal shock, meaning if your stone is resting at room temperature and then is placed in your hot grill or oven, it won’t crack.
- This Pizza Stone does a great job at absorbing moisture from the pizza for crispy crusts.
- Meets FDA and RoHS Standards, meaning the product is food safe, and strict guidelines were followed during manufacturing.
- Best pizza stone for kamado grill
What We Don’t Like:
- It is a “STONE” it can crack and break with enough force.
- Stone bakeware can absorb oils and create oils spots on the stone, which are hard to clean.
3. Best for the Smoker: Unicook Heavy Duty Ceramic Rectangular pizza Stone
This cordierite baking pizza stone is excellent for BBQ smokers and pellet grills. Since it is built from cordierite, it can withstand extreme heat for long periods of time and is durable. For many reasons, we like the rectangular shape of this pizza stone. It can handle a good-sized pizza and can be used in vertical gas, propane, or charcoal smokers, plus it can be used as a cookie baking sheet in your oven. Its shape makes it very versatile in the kitchen.
The Unicook is a heavy-duty ceramic pizza grilling stone and a great choice for charcoal or pellet smokers.
What We Like
- Great for larger large pizzas for family pizza night or bake two smaller pizzas at the same time.
- Great for use in a home oven or grill. This pizza stone works excellent in smokers and grills or on a rectangular grill grate.
- It is a pizza stone pan, so it will crisp pizza crust well.
- The best pizza stone for Traeger grills and similar grills.
What We Don’t Like:
- As with most pizza stone bakeware, it can absorb oils and stain.
- It can be harder to clean, especially since chemicals and soap are not recommended.
4. Best for Gas Grills: Emile Henry Flame
The Emile Henry Flame Top pizza stone makes it to this list as the best pizza stone for grills as it can withstand up to 900 degrees Fahrenheit and can be used on an open flame. This pizza stone can be used with different heat sources, meaning you can use it in an oven, charcoal grill, or even a fire pit.
This Emile Henry stone’s nicest feature is its coated or glazed surface, which is micro-crazed to help bake your pizza to a crisp.
What We Like:
- Easy to clean – in fact, this pizza stone is dishwasher safe
- Can endure up to 900 degrees.
- Its glazed coating makes it easy to clean, and grease and cheese won’t stick as much
- The glaze coating protects the pizza stone when cutting pizzas – scratch resistant
- The handles help to move the pizza stone in and out of the oven or grill – use gloves!
What We Don’t Like:
- Oven Safe ONLY to 500 degrees
- This pizza stone is on the heavy side
- The coating can chip or crack, so handling with care is required
5. best pizza pan for the Oven: Wilton Perfect Results Non-Stick Crisper Pizza Pan
The Wilton Pizza pan is the best pizza pan to use in home ovens or convection ovens. This pan is easy to use, and its non-stick surface makes it easier for beginners to use, but it still bakes crispy pizzas. This pizza pan is a good option for those who want to bake pizza in their oven and do not intend to bake their pizzas in any other place than their home oven.
What We Like:
- These pizza pans are light and easy to move around
- The non-stick surface makes it easier for beginners learning to bake pizzas
- Material easy to clean – dishwasher safe
- Great Value
What We Don’t Like:
- Not as versatile as other pizza pans, this is mainly for your indoor kitchen oven only.
Bonus: Great Deal – Cuisinart CPS-445, 3-Piece Pizza Grilling Set, Stainless Steel
Everything you need to cook a fantastic pizza tonight! This pizza stone set is a great deal for those wanting to get started and learn how to bake pizzas at home. The Cuisinart Pizza Stone grilling set includes a cordierite pizza stone, a pizza peel ( pizza paddle ), and a pizza cutter.
What We Like:
- A Pizza Stone great bundle for beginners—it includes everything you need to cook your first pizza tonight, including a pizza peel
- This ceramic pizza stone works great in ovens, grills, and smokers.
What We Don’t Like:
- Hand wash only 🙁
What is a Pizza Stone – Just in Case 🙂
A pizza stone is a hard, portable baking surface or pan made of ceramic, stone, or cast iron that is used in grills, smokers, or ovens to bake crispy-crust pizzas. This kitchen bakeware accessory is what makes pizza fluffy and crispy!
Pizza stones are utilized like cookie sheets; one can preheat a pizza stone and bake a pizza and other foods on its cooking surface. The main difference between pizza stones and cookie sheets is that pizza baking stones can soak up moisture from the pizza dough, making the crust crispier.
Pizza stones are designed for baking pizzas in ovens, fire pits, and BBQ grills. A quality baking stone will improve and facilitate the baking process.
To cook a good tasting pizza at home, you need a stone or baking pan to absorb moisture and radiate heat efficiently. If you simply throw a pizza on a hot surface or grill, you will destroy the pizza, burn it, and likely end up with a lovely soggy dough disaster.
Pizza grilling is a lot of fun and a great way to add a slight touch of smoky flavor to your pizzas. A good pizza stone is an excellent accessory for your charcoal, gas grill, or oven. A pizza stone can turn any charcoal or gas grill into a great pizza oven for a fraction of the cost.
What Makes a Good grill Pizza Stone and Why Should you Use One
A good pizza stone will be effective at transferring heat evenly to the pizza, absorbing moisture to bake crispier pizzas, and should be able to withstand high temperatures. The materials and methods used to make the pizza stone have a direct effect on the stone’s quality, how well it works, and how long it lasts.
Using a pizza stone on charcoal or gas grills results in a crispier crust due to the stones’ superior heat conductivity and heat transfer. Other materials do not absorb excess moisture or distribute heat evenly as traditional pizza stones do.
Types of Pizza Stones
Ceramic and Clay Pizza Stones
Ceramic and clay pizza stones are the classic and best-known types of baking stones in the culinary market. Ceramic is also used in other bakeware and cooking appliances due to its capacity to absorb and radiate heat. Ceramic pizza grilling stones are easy to manufacture in different shapes and sizes, making them versatile and an easy fit for kamado grills and ovens alike.
- Ceramic and Clay pizza stones absorb and radiate heat well.
- These stones can be found in different shapes and sizes – Can find options for your grill and kamados
- Ceramic stones bake crispier pizzas since the stone material can absorb moisture from the pizza during baking.
- A ceramic pizza grilling stone can be used in a grill, smoker, or kamado.
- These stones typically require to be preheated to become effective at baking and crisping the dough.
- If you drop a ceramic or claystone, you can kiss it goodbye. There is no coming back from a drop.
- Can absorb oils and other liquids, making these stones hard to clean
- Most baking stones are not dishware safe, nor can you use detergents to clean them.
Cast Iron Baking Pan
Cast iron is widely used in BBQ grills grates, cookware, and bakeware for its ability to retain and transfer heat. When a baking pan gets hot, it transfers heat quickly and evenly distributes heat for a golden brown crispy crust. They are also extremely durable if adequately maintained, and with small amounts of lubrication, they can also become a non-stick cooking surface.
Cast iron Pizza pans can be used in ovens, stoves, fire pits, and BBQ grills. These pans are strong. They can handle high temperatures and can even handle open fires. Because iron is strong and durable, it can be placed on just about any heat source or pizza cooking appliance.
Although iron pans can be virtually bulletproof, they require a bit more maintenance, while stones are pretty much maintenance-free. Iron needs to be kept oiled or “seasoned” to avoid rust. Lucky, some iron products already come pre-seasoned.
However, these pans work great when it comes to heat retention and can be used for pizza cooking many other dishes.
- Heats up fast and has great heat retention.
- These pans are easier to clean than stone bakeware.
- This pan has handles, which makes it easier to handle in and out of grills and ovens.
- It won’t break or crack under extreme heat.
- This material is strong, durable, and can take a couple of accidental drops. It can also heat it faster than ceramic stones.
- These iron cooking accessories can be used on just about any heating source.
- Some cast-iron baking pans allow you to make deep dish pizza – most stones are flat, iron pans can be shaped like skillets
- The main problem with cast iron cooking accessories is that they are heavy.
- Iron can be damaged when exposed to extreme temperatures.
A cordierite Pizza Stone is incredibly durable and can be more expensive than other ceramic or cast iron pizza stones. However, cordierite is long-lasting and can withstand high heat and extreme temperature changes. Cordierite bakeware is cable of sustaining dramatic temperature changes without cracking as clay and ceramic can.
Cordierite stone is extremely strong and heat resistant, but it is a stone and can crack if hit hard enough or dropped. You will find a lot of kitchenware made from cordierite due to its heat resistance and durability.
- A cordierite stone is remarkably resistant to temperature changes, meaning if the stone is left outside in the cold, it can be introduced to heat without much issue.
- Long-lasting material- will not rust or need much maintenance.
- Cordierite stones can absorb moisture from the pizza dough for a perfectly crispy crust.
- These stones can be more expensive than clay or ceramic stones.
- Not as strong as iron.
How to Choose the Best Pizza Stone
There are many pizza stones in the market and many brands to choose from. In this article, we researched and independently tested our picks. Still, ultimately, your needs, personal preferences, budget, and equipment you own will determine which pizza stone suits you best.
However, our research found that ceramic pizza grilling stones perform exceptionally well and are budget-friendly, a combination that many of our readers can find attractive and enjoy.
To choose the best pizza stone for you, consider the type of baking and cooking you’ll be doing. If you are looking for a good but budget-friendly option, ceramic stones are a great choice. If you are serious about cooking pizza, bake pizza often, or run a small pizza shop, then a cordierite pizza stone can be a better choice.
Lastly, don’t forget about cast iron pizza pans. If you are looking for something that will last for years, cast iron baking pans are a good option for you.
What is the best material for a pizza stone?
Cast iron pans and cordierite stones are the best materials for pizza stones. These materials can take a fair amount of use and withstand high temperatures without incurring any damage.
Ceramic is an excellent material and makes for great pizza stones, but the stone can crack if exposed to extreme temperature changes. Homemade pizza can become a popular dish in your home, and it makes sense to buy a durable pizza stone that will last.
What should To look
Pizza Stone Material
A pizza stone can be made from various materials, but cast iron, steel, and stone are common. Ceramic stones are trendy, but many users also enjoy cast iron due to its strength. Use the information in this article to choose the best pizza stone or pan material.
Consider what type of heat source you’ll be using, gas grill, charcoal barbecue, smoker, oven, or stove; your cooking platform will help you determine what type of pizza stone material you should choose.
Pay close attention to the materials used to build the product. See if the brand follows any National Sanitation Foundation (NSF ) protocols. The NSF has published minimum materials standard protocols for bakeware.
The NSF Protocol P393 for Oven Bakeware home use establishes minimum food protection and safety requirements, including materials construction and even design of bakeware and cookware sold to consumers. The list includes pizza pans, cookie sheets, and, yes, ceramic stoneware and earthware.
Size and shape
Your pizza stone’s size and shape are important as it is improbable to change the size or shape of a pizza stone once the purchase is made. If you purchase a stone too small and later realize you need a bigger cooking area, you will have to buy another pizza stone. The size of the pizza stone will determine the usable surface area.
Take the time to consider what type of baking you will be doing, what kind of pizzas you will be making, and purchase the right-sized product.
Also, consider where you will be using your pizza stone if you will be cooking in your kitchen oven, Green Egg, or on an open fire. If you use the pizza stone in your smoker grill, you will likely need a rectangular-shaped baking pizza stone.
Circular and Round Pizza Stones
Circular Pizza stones are the most common and often used in round grills like kamados and outdoor pizza ovens. A round pizza stone will also help you shape your pizza in a traditional pie form.
Square and Rectangular Pizza Stones
A rectangular pizza stone might not make much sense at first, but a rectangular stone can offer a larger surface, thus allowing you to bake larger pizzas. Square and rectangular-shaped pizza stones also fit better in vertical smokers and grills.
A rectangular pizza stone can also cook two pizzas at once or bake a small pizza and a side dish.
Some pizza stones are fragile, limiting how and where you can use them, but others can be used to sizzle, cut the pizza right on the pizza stone, and even store your pizza in your fridge. Some stones can be thrown in a dishwasher, while others require careful cleaning.
Additionally, some pizza stones are so versatile that they can be used on open fires, on your stove, or in fire pits. For example, If you plan on cooking outdoors during a camping trip, a cast iron pizza pan might be more versatile than a ceramic pizza stone. You can use a cast iron pizza pan on an open fire and cook other meals with too!
Pay close attention to the product specifications you are looking to buy to fit your needs.
Heating Capacity and Tresh holds
Perhaps you have seen or read of pizza stones cracking when placed on a hot grill grate or place in your oven. This is often due to the thermal shock and rapid changes in the stone temperature. Some pizza stones materials will be more resistant to thermal shock than others.
For example, cast iron can withstand high temperatures and is resistant to thermal shock. Cordierite pizza stones can withstand extremely high temperatures and are also resistant to thermal shock, but it takes longer to absorb heat, meaning it needs to be preheated well before baking the pizza.
Ceramic Pizza Stones tend to be on the lighter side but are more susceptible to cracking. Most pizza stones will work well up to 600 degrees, but the pizza stone needs to be heated with the grill to avoid damage. It is recoded to read the pizza stone instructions to understand the heat thresh hold it can withstand.
Most pizza stone manufacturers offer a warranty to cover any defects or quality issues. These warranties do not cover accidents or damage. Always check the manufactures warranty to understand how they will cover your pizza stone.
A good restaurant quality pizza stone will last years with proper care and maintenance. Some stones can be cleaned in a dishwasher, but others can only be hand washed. Check the manufactures recommended maintenance and care tips to ensure your pizza stone will last.
Some pizza stones cost more than others. A pizza stone’s price will vary depending on the product features and materials used to build the pizza stone. Some manufacturers add coatings, handles, and special materials to their baking stones, driving up prices.
How to Use a Pizza stone in Your Grill Or Smoker
Using the pizza stone with your grill or smoker is simple, but you should follow these steps for the best results.
Clean The Grill or Smoker – Making sure the grill is clean will ensure that dirty smoke from grease and grime doesn’t touch your pizza.
Preheat The Grill – Preheating the grill burns old grease, fat, and any contaminants in the grill. Preheating the grill will help clean up any old food residue. You do not want to preheat your grill with the pizza inside, as the preheating process can generate a lot of dirty smoke.
Preheat the Pizza Stone – The purpose of a pizza stone is to “shock” the pizza with a burst of heat, absorb moisture, and crisp the crust. This is why it is important to preheat the stone following the manufacturer’s instructions.
Once the pizza stone is preheated, you can place the pizza in the grill and cook the pizza.
Do these stones make a difference?
A good pizza stone makes a world of difference when making pizzas at home, or you decide to grill pizza. Ceramic stones’ porous surface is what makes those perfect fluffy and crispy crusts. The stone can absorb moisture from the pizza, cooking better and baking perfectly without hot and cold spots.
Pizza Stones can be preheated to quickly transfer an initial powerful burst of heat to the pizza and create a nice puffy and crispy crust.
Another advantage of using Pizza Stone is they can cook more evenly than other baking sheets or grill greats, ensuring your pizza dough cooks entirely and no raw dough is left in your pizza. Unless you have a stone oven, you will need to use a pizza stone to get good results.
Homemade Pizza Recipes Ideas
There are many pizza recipes you can try and plenty of ideas, but you can start simple. Using pre-made dough is the easiest way to get started. To get started, go to your local grocery store, where you can find pre-made pizza dough and pick up the rest of the ingredients. While you are there, grab plenty of mozzarella cheese, pizza tomato sauce, and other toppings you want to try.
As you learn more and master the basics of baking pizza you can graduate to preparing the entire pizza from scratch.
One Last Word
Preparing and baking pizzas at home is a lot of fun and gratifying. Being able to pick your own toppings, pizza dough, and add your own style is priceless. Pizza making can be a great Saturday night activity for the whole family, and it can be a better option than frozen pizzas. Try one of these stones and practice your craft, and soon, you will be making pizzeria-quality pies!
Making pizza is a great way to spend time with friends and family. Grab your favorite beer and have a great game night.
Don’t forget to invite your friends and family and ask them to rate your pizza!
Enjoy life, get grilling.